Moving Image Workshop
The Moving Image Workshop is the Faculty’s state-of-the-art facility for filming, sound recording, animation, motion graphics and post production. The workshop operates an open access policy to all students and offers an enabling, supportive, inspirational and collaborative environment. Specialist technical staff provides students with expert advice and guidance.
Here is a selection of images from our Filming Studio, Post Production Studios, Animation Studio and Sound Recording Studio. Click on an image to enlarge.
The Moving Image Workshop comprises of the following four distinctive areas:
- Filming Studio (The Ackland Space)
- Sound Recording Studio
- Animation Studio
- Post Production Studios 1+2
Filming Studio (The Ackland Space)
The filming studio is a large and flexible space supporting broadcast quality production.
The studio is equipped with:
- a Phantom HD Gold Ultra Slow Motion camera which is capable of shooting up to 1000 frames per second at 2K. This is a spectacular camera and was donated to Kingston University by Vision Research in 2011.
- 3 HD cameras and accessories.
- a Stanton Jimi-Jib camera crane with a remote head and a reach of 4m.
- a Spider Dolly with Flexi-track.
- a full lighting set up consisting of a Kino Flo system combining Image, Zip, and Para Beam light fixtures with additional floor lights as well as HMIs and Dedo modeling spots.
- a 64 channel DMX controlled lighting desk.
- a white infinity cove.
- a cylcorama facilitating a large green screen and a set of heavy black drapes.
Sound Recording Studio
The sound recording studio comprises of two rooms:
- a Control room equipped with an Apple Mac Pro computer running Adobe Audition CC, a 27-inch Apple Thunderbolt display, an 8 channel Motu audio interface, a talk-back system, amplifier, and speakers.
- an Audio Booth equipped with 2 x Audio Technica AT4033a microphones with headphones for playback and monitoring.
The high quality microphones in the sound recording studio are particularly suitable for recording interviews, voiceovers, sound effects and instruments. There is also access to an extensive library of music and sound effects.
The animation studio is equipped with 4 Rostrum Cameras which comprise of:
- a Canon DSLR camera connected to an Apple iMac computer running the latest Dragonframe software for industry standard stop-frame animation. The Rostrum Camera is fully adjustable enabling the production of both 2D and 3D animation.
- all rostrum cameras have a Diva light setup by Kino Flo.
Animation light boxes with rotating perspex disks and pegbar slots are also available for hand-drawn animation.
Post Production Studios 1 + 2
The post production studios are equipped with 14 edit suites and 4 edit stations.
- Each edit suite comprises of an Apple Mac Pro computer, an Apple 27” thunderbolt display, a Blackmagic video breakout box, a Sony broadcast standard monitor for colour correction, 4/6 socket headphone amplifiers enabling group work, headphones, and speakers.
- All Apple Mac Pro computers are running a wide range of professional video editing and special effects applications, including Avid Media Composer.
- Blu-ray burners can be provided separately for burning DVDs and Blu-ray disks as required.
- VHS, DV, and HDV decks and cassette decks are also available for digitizing legacy formats.
All edit suites are connected to an Apple Raid Video Server and an AVID ISIS 5000 which provide storage capacity and rapid video streaming capabilities.
Members of Staff:
- Souli Spiropoulou (Moving Image Workshop Manager)
- Phil Hollins (Senior Technician)
- Dave Hallett (Technician)
- Vron Harris (Technician)