Ms Charlie Murphy
School: School of Art and Architecture
Position: Senior Lecturer across both BA (Hons) and MA Photography and Graphic Design and Photography programmes
Following intensive training in Documentary Photography at Gwent College of Higher Education followed by BA (Hons) Photography at Farnham (West Surrey) Murphy graduated in Photography from the RCA in 1999.
Examining a wide range of tactile, sensory and material qualities of human experience, Murphy's practice has expanded and evolved to include visual art installations, sculpture, video, performance and public engagement events.
Collecting hundreds of casts from the inside of people's kisses through her infamous participatory 'kiss-in' event, Murphy's 'Anatomy of Desire' project presents an extraordinary survey of desire through an extraordinary series of intimate glass sculptures, photographic and video works;
Her work has been presented at many national and international art festivals, public spaces and galleries; including The Dublin's Science Gallery (2015), The Wellcome Collection (2011), Artsway's New Forest Pavilion at the Venice Biennale (2005), Edinburgh Fringe Festival (2006) and Artist Collectables at Tate Modern (2007).
Charlie is a senior lecturer in Photography at Kingston School of Art. She regularly delivers talks on her practice and related topics for gallery and museum audiences and also contributes specialist lectures, seminars and tutorial support for BA and MA programmes at Bournemouth Institute for the Arts, The Royal College of Art, University of Gloucestershire, (Cheltenham), Anglia Ruskin, and University College for the Creative Arts at Farnham.
Her performance practice involves participation and ritual through range of activities including trout tickling, dance, pantomime, dressage, taste and gymnastics.
Inspired and informed by historic and contemporary medical imaging and illustration, Charlie also makes intricate glass sculptures and installations which infuse the supposed neutrality of scientific 'illustration' with highly emotive content.
Recently commissioned by the Science Gallery (Dublin) and the European Haematology Association (NL) to create new glass sculptures exploring blood forms, vessels and anatomical features of the heart, she is also currently involved in developing collaborations with UCL neuroscientists that explore and express experiences of ageing and living with dementia.
» Artists Moving Image
» Public Engagement
Teaching areas & responsibilities
Senior Lecturer for BA (Hons) and MA Photography in the Department of Film and Photography, and for BA (Hons) Graphics and Photography programmes.
» 'Retort', Glass sculpture and video exhibition, The Black Swan, Frome, Somerset
» 'The Anatomy of Desire & Other Experiments', glass and video work, The Wellcome Collection, London
» 'The Anatomy of Desire', exhibition and publication, Arts University College at Bournemouth
Major mixed media project including sculptures, video, photographic work and publication
Produced with support of ArtSway, AUCAB, Dartington Glass, AA2A and ACE
» 'The Longing Of Shadows', glass sculpture and photographic exhibition for jaggedart, London
» 'Linnaeus; Plant Harlotry', glass and photography, The Dissenters' Chapel Gallery Kensal Green, London
» 'BAIT', video installation 'Cover Up' space, London in association with Danielle Arnaud, London
» 'The Art of Tickling Trout and other Sensual Pleasures', Artsway, Hampshire
Major video and multiples exhibition with publication, produced through Navvygate residency
» 'Possession', solo installation, Cambridge Darkroom Gallery (Eastern Arts Commission)
Cast glass, light and photographic sculpture installation
» 'Blood' (Not for the faint hearted), The Science Gallery exhibition tour to Melbourne, Australia (tbc)
» 'Toys (R Us)', The Crypt Gallery., Euston, London
'Photography & Sculpture' Voutoreenees Members exhibition, The Stash Gallery, London
» 'Blood' (Not for the faint hearted), The Science Gallery, Trinity College, Dublin, (including commission)
» 'Embrace', group show, The Wilson, Cheltenham City Art Gallery
» 'Supernormal' group show at Braziers, Oxfordshire, curated by Studio 1.1
» 'Pantomime Pony' Posters as part of 'DIY Cultures', Rich Mix, London
» 'Olympic Celebration: Athletes in Motion', Kingston Museum
» 100 years of Newport Documentary Photography Alumni Exhibition, University of Wales
» 'kisses' exhibited at The Effort Collective's 'Bitesize' one off event, 93 Feet East, London
» 'Beyond the Commission', The Gallery, The Arts University at Bournemouth
» 'Living & Giving', Just Glass Society group show, Mary Portas, London
» 'Love Lab', The Science Gallery, Dublin
» 'Art Store' (The Culture Label), Idea Generation Gallery, London
Grants, funding and awards
- 2015Limited edition 'blood cell' sculpture series for European Haemotology Association, The Hague
- 2011Wellcome Collection commission to create video work 'retort' for exhibition
- 2010Arts Council England individual artist award for ' The Anatomy of Desire' exhibition, publication & live event
- 2007 - 2008Artists Access to Art Colleges (AA2A) award at Plymouth College of Art & Design; involved access to Glass Department to create casts towards 'The Anatomy of Desire'
- 2005 - 2012Limited Edition Rosette Commissions for Aspex Gallery, private collectors and Fash'n'Riot 3, (artists book/magazine), video works for Spacex Gallery, Exeter
- 2004 - 2005Artsadmin 'Mid Career' Bursary, London
- 2004 - 2012Associate Artist, Artsway (funded by The Leverhulme Trust)
- 2002Navvygate Residency, Artsway, Hampshire
- 2001Design Commission for Intensive Therapy Unit, Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital
- 1999 - 2001ACAVA First Base' Studio Award, Cremer Street Studios, London.
- 1998Permanent Light Installation Derriford Hospital, Plymouth (Lottery Commission)
- 1997 - 1999DFE Bursary Award for Study at The Royal College of Art, London
- 1997 - 1999DFE Bursary Award for Study at The Royal College of Art, London.
- 1995'Possession' installation commission, Eastern Arts / Cambridge Darkroom Gallery