Ms Andrea Stokes
School: School of Art and Architecture
Position: Associate Professor
I studied Sculpture at Liverpool Polytechnic and Experimental Media at the Slade. I use objects, imagery and strategies from 80's feminism, working class culture, new age spirituality and utopian humanism to interrogate meanings imbedded within locations and objects. I present work in contexts that reach large and diverse non-art audiences for example; "Contemporary Dance for Beginners" (2014) made and shown at Whitechapel Idea Store; "The Book of Elizabeth" (2007) an arts council funded project working with local people in Arbroath, Scotland; "Puncture" (2004) an arts council funded video installation in Portsmouth Cathedral.
My drawing, installation and video work that uses the motif of the net curtain has been influential in debates about textiles within fine art. In 2013 I was commissioned to make "Net Curtain" at Thelma Hulbert Gallery in Devon and was awarded an arts council grant. In 2010 I was invited to show in the touring exhibition "Beyond Pattern" at Oriel Davies Gallery. In 2004 I was selected to be part of "Arttextiles 3", a survey of 18 British artists referencing textiles.
In 2013 my residency at the Upernavik Museume in Northern Greenland led to a new area of research into the arctic landscape as a site of "escape".
Research interests: socially engaged practice, feminism, working class culture, utopian humanism, textiles.
Diagram of an Hour (2016), a one hour radio programme by "We Are Publication" broadcast on Resonance fm 19/06/15. My six-minute contribution rearranges a script from Star Trek to interrogate the seductive allure and problematic humanism of Captain Janeway.
"Diagram of an Hour" will be reproduced as a vinyl record in 2017.
Contemporary Dance for Beginners (2014), a video commissioned for the Idea Store Whitechapel where I enrolled on a contemporary dance course, positioning the aspirational architecture at the center of the learning experience and reaching a large and diverse non-art audience.
Net Curtain (2014), a collaborative drawing made by 25 local women creating trompe-l'oeil drapes throughout the Thelma Hulbert Gallery, engendering an investigation of working conditions for women. My essay "Net Curtain" will be published in "Drawing Conversations: Collective and Collaborative Drawing Practice" by Cambridge Scholars in 2017.
"Beyond Pattern" (2010), a group exhibition and catalogue (ISBN 978 1 870797 55 8) by Oriel Davies Gallery; an exploration of 'pattern' as social, cultural and political commentator.
"Stokes displays a love-hate relationship with net curtains, copying them in exquisite pencil drawings" (Elisabeth Mahoney, Guardian On-line).
"The Book of Elizabeth" (2007), a collective imagining of the forgotten mistress of Hospitalfield House, Arbroath. Working with the local spiritualist community, published by Hungry Dog Press (ISBN13 978-0-9541412-3-3) distributed by Printed Matter NY.
Three grants awarded from Arts Council:
£5000 for "Puncture" (2004)
£5000 to publish "The Book of Elizabeth" (2007)
£8000 for "Net Curtain" (2013)
Teaching areas & responsibilities
Stanley Picker Print Tutorship Award
- 2015 - 2016Fine Art representative on the Faculty Education Committee at Kingston University
- 2015 - 2016Leader of Outreach and Access project to support widening participation in School of Fine Art at Kingston University
- 2015Member of peer review selection panel for Modulations 2016: Broadcasting Research in the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences in collaboration with Resonance104.4fm and The Arts and Culture Unit
- 2014 - presentMember of "We Are Publication", a collaboration with KU Fine Art practice based PhD staff and students through the production and dissemination of group practice
- 2009 - 2010Member of KU PDP Group
- 2008 - 2011Vice Chair of Art Space Portsmouth. Raised £40,000 arts council funding and led a three-year International Residency in collaboration with the University of Portsmouth and Aspex Gallery
- 2007 - 2010Member of KU Faculty Learning & Teaching committee
- 2007 - 2009External Examiner BA Fine Art, Bradford College
- 2007 - 2010External examiner BA Fine Art at Bradford School of Art, validated by Leeds University
- 2000 - 2007Kingston University Fine Art Erasmus Co-ordinator, setting up new exchange programmes with University of Kassel and Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna
Educational and professional qualifications
- 2016 Senior Fellow of HEA
- 1985Post Graduate Higher Diploma, Experimental Media Slade School of Art, University College London
- 1983BA(Hons) Sculpture Liverpool Polytechnic
Conferences & events
2015: Co-presentation of "We Are Publication" selected as an example of innovative research-led teaching within practice-based Fine Art PhDs at NAFAE conference on doctoral research at Metropolitan University.
2015: Presentation of paper "Net Curtains" to the NAFAE symposium "Drawing Conversations" at Coventry University.
Grants, funding and awards
- 2007Arts Council England - Grants for the Arts for 'The Book of Elizabeth'
- 2006Fleming Trust Residency at Hospitalfield House, Arbroath
- 2004Arts Council England - Grants for the Arts for 'Puncture'