Ms Eleanor Suess
School: School of Art and Architecture
Position: Head of the Department Architecture and Landscape
Eleanor Suess is the Head of the Department of Architecture and Landscape. She is a Principal Lecturer in Architecture and the Course Director for the Graduate Diploma Architecture (RIBA Part 2). Eleanor has a background in fine arts, architectural practice, and architectural education. She is a qualified architect with more than ten years experience in architectural practice in London.
Eleanor's research focuses on the use of time-based media for architectural representation. This includes the production of experimental film, and her film work has been screened internationally and in the UK. A parallel, but supporting strand of research involves analysis of existing works of structural/materialist film as spatiotemporal architectural drawing. This ongoing research has been presented at a number of conferences, both in the UK and Australia, and Eleanor was recently invited to present this work both at the University of Chichester, and at the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts. This research is to be included in the upcoming book "Consuming Architecture".
Eleanor integrates aspects of her research into her teaching practice through students' production of Lumiere films as a method of sustained observation, recording and analysis of temporal architectural conditions.
Teaching areas & responsibilities
Course Director, Graduate Diploma Architecture
Module leader for Level 6 and 7 design modules, Graduate Diploma Architecture
Second Year Architecture Studio Leader
Module Leader and tutor for Masters level module "Computing for Design", undertaken by students on the Graduate Diploma Architecture, the Masters Architecture: Design, and the Masters Landscape & Urbanism.
- 2011 - presentExternal examiner, University of the West of England, Bachelor of Architecture (RIBA part 2) & MA in Architecture
- 2011 - presentExternal examiner, Plymouth University, MA Architecture Theory
- 2011Internal Panel Member ISR, Schools of 3D and Communication Design
- 2009Revision of the BA(Hons) Architecture, Kingston University
- 2009Revision of the Graduate Diploma Architecture
- 2008 - 2011Member of the FADA Faculty Curriculum Development Committee
- 2008 - 2011Chair, School of Architecture & Landscape Architecture, Management & Enhancement Group
- 2007Fashion Architecture Taste, London: Architect
- 2005 - 2007Proctor & Matthews Architects, London: Consultant
- 2004 - 2005Proctor & Matthews Architects, London: Project Architect/Architect
- 1996 - 2004Proctor & Matthews, Assistant Architect
- 1995 - 1996Adelaide International Arts Festival, Australia: Ruins of the Future Designer/Project Manager
Educational and professional qualifications
- 2007PG Certificate in Teaching & Learning in HE Kingston University
- 2005Masters in Architecture Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL
- 2004Certificate in Professional Practice (RIBA part 3) Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL
- 2001Diploma in Architecture (RIBA part 2) Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL
- 1996Bachelor of Environmental Design (RIBA part 1) University of Western Australia
- 1994Bachelor of Fine Arts University of Western Australia
Conferences & events
Invited to present my research and to lead a research seminar and workshop at Hochschule Luzern, at Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts (funded by Hochschule Luzern).
Invited to present my research and take part in an upcoming symposium at the University of Chichester.
Suess, Eleanor (2014) Doors don't slam: time-based architectural representation. In: Maudlin, Daniel and Vellinga, Marcel, (eds.) Consuming architecture: on the occupation, appropriation and interpretation of buildings. Abingdon, U.K. : Routledge. pp. 243-259. ISBN 9780415825009